In the late afternoon on Saturday we headed to Harbin's Ice Park just before sunset. It was only bedlam! I counted over 46 coaches, a lot of minibuses, and hundreds of cars and taxis. We put our ice spikes on very fast as it was very slippery underfoot. The crowds entering were happy and excited and there was a really great atmosphere considering there were several thousand people present, a real family event.
Again the park was huge, the sculptures huge. The ice is carved in blocks from a tributary river which runs into the main river running through the town, and hauled into the park. I read that the central ice tower (which looks a bit like Isengard from Lord of the Rings!) is 80m tall. At sunset the lights begin to come on, all the LED lighting is incorporated into the ice as it is built and carved and much of it changed colours from time to time. I will just post photos, words can not describe the size and number of sculptures.











No comments:
Post a Comment