Packed and ready!
Really? Doesn't look it!
Very well, almost packed.
They say 'pack a bag and go' as though it is the easiest thing in the world.
Well physically I suppose it is easy, but the thought of what to pack, what to leave, which I might need, what I can do without, what can I borrow, what will I need to buy there if I forget/ cull/ leave out is quite mind bending.
It most certainly is not easy.
I recently read about non-places, such as airports, stations, places where people are in a state of flux. Places which only exist really as a point to move one between points. The stage of waiting and readying oneself to leave is also a sort of non-place, or non-time. It is difficult to engage with those whom one is leaving and difficult to throw one's heart across to those to whom one is going. One needs to cogitate, prepare mentally, put one's mind (as well as house) in order.
Once I get on to the bus on Sunday night I will be temporarily in a space between worlds until Tuesday morning.
As H.F. Brinsmead put it in 'Pastures of the Blue Crane':
- a place apart, from whence she could peer with curiosity into the depths of some other dimension.
I had a good look around the familiar town this morning when I was doing errands; at the buildings, people, river, roadworks. When I return I expect nothing much will have changed and there will be few differences; but I will be different just from being away.
The guidebooks are in the case, two, because one might not be enough and really, what is the point of travelling but to see, do, visit, experience as much as much as I can? Without a bit of direction and organisation how is that possible? Thank you Lonely Planet and Rough Guides for enabling me to get the most out of places and drive friends and family up the wall whilst doing it!
Roll on Sunday- I am (almost) ready to go!

No comments:
Post a Comment